What to consider when remodeling a kitchen?
Written by Mike West
[custom_frame_right shadow=”on”][/custom_frame_right]There are many things to consider when remodeling a kitchen. Here is a basic check list of reminders and food for thought when planning your remodel. Hopefully this well help get the wheels turning and give you some guidance on what is involved. I have also provided you with a checklist you can print at home and use for your remodel.
- Are you switching your stove from gas to electric, or vice versa?
- Is it time to replace the dishwasher, or are you going to keep it?
- Are you installing or updating your range hood?
- Would you like a television installed in your kitchen?
- Is it time to replace the trash compactor?
- Make sure to inspect the garbage disposal.
- Do you see your kitchen having a natural wood look, or a painted wood finish? Maybe you would like a combination of natural and painted.
- What type of door style would you like? Start investigating now because there are many to choose from.
- Do you need to replace old or damaged drywall?
- Are you replacing plaster with drywall?
- Are you keeping the existing ceiling the way it is or would you like a stomped/textured ceiling?
- Are you interested in ceramic or granite tile?
- How about a granite slab?
- You can have a hi-definition laminate or solid surface material.
- There are many types of sizes and styles for ceramic tile.
- There are many options of hardwood floors.
- Laminate or floating floors are popular.
- There is the economical vinyl.
- You may also be keeping your existing floor?
- Do you need a Ceiling fan/light?
- Decorative lighting is always aesthetically appealing.
- How many recessed lights do you need, and what size?
- Would you like task lighting or under cabinet lights?
- Would you like a faucet with a pull-out spray?
- How about a faucet with a soap dispenser?
- Do you need a garbage disposal installed?
- Pot-filler faucet extending from the stove area?
- Sink (double, single, apron)
Main sink/prep sink
Think of the different type of sinks such as:
- Solid surfacing
- Stainless steel
- Do you have any special needs such as adding an island, windows, doors, or skylights?
Remember, this is by no means an exhaustive list of what you need to consider when remodeling your kitchen. Hopefully the above information can help point you in the right direction.